Our Hygienists & Therapists are trained to work together with your dentist to provide integrated, comprehensive dental care. New research is revealing strong connections between compromised oral health and diseases within the body, so as well as giving you greater self confidence, a clean smile is also contributing to your overall well being. Our ultimate goal is to assist you in achieving and maintaining a healthy, happy smile for life.
Dental hygiene maintenance involves removing plaque (soft, sticky, bacteria film) and tartar (hardened tartar deposits) that have built up on your teeth over time.
A dental hygienist is a specifically trained and licensed oral health professional who provides you with clinical & educational services to enhance and maintain both your oral, and overall health.
Before and After a Visit - What we do.Pictured is a moderate example of what plaque and tartar buildup can look like. When plaque hardens it becomes darker and is removed with a "scaler" tool or ultrasonic device. The hour that Beacon Cove Dental spends with patients covers:
- Thoroughly cleaning all surfaces of your teeth
- Removing tartar and disease above and below the gum line
- Removing light stains
- Professionally polishing the tooth surfaces
- Evaluating the health of your gums
- Strengthening teeth with Fluoride and natural ions
- Personalising dental hygiene instructions to maintain a healthy smile including dietary impact on dental health
- Teaching you how to effectively care for your teeth at home
- Providing you with a take home care pack with tooth brush, floss, paste and travel case
If you have gum disease, where the gums are receeding or are starting to detach from the teeth, our Hygiene Department conduct deeper tartar removal and gum/bone treatment.
Following the Comprehensive Examination, a separate one hour Hygiene & Scaling Appointment will be conducted by a specialised Hygiene Therapist.
The item numbers for this session depend on your condition, however common items are:
- 114 - Calculus Removal (cleaning, scaling of teeth)
- 121 - Topical Remineralising (application of fluoride)
- 222 - Root Planing & Curettage - (cleaning below the gum line)
- Possibly 281 if a subsequent appointment is required